Charles Stewart Mott
After earning a degree in engineering, C.S. Mott ran the family business, the Weston-Mott Co., making wheels, hubs, and axles for bicycles and carriages. In 1907, C.S.Mott moved his family and his company from New York to Flint at the urging of Billy Durant. Weston-Mott later merged with the Buick Motor Company, making Mott the original U.S. partner in the creation of the General Motors Corporation. He served on the GM Board of Directors for 60 years from 1913 until his death in 1973. He also served two terms as Mayor of the City of Flint. Charles Stewart Mott, automotive pioneer, well-known philanthropist and Flint's most generous benefactor, established the Mott Foundation in 1926 which has been instrumental in funding a host of medical, educational, and charitable causes through the years.
A bronze replica of Charles Stewart Mott now stands outside the library on the campus of the college that bears his name. Unveiled in August 2016, the latest creation of local sculptor Joe Rundell honors C.S. Mott and his contributions to the Flint area community at large. It was funded through gifts made to Back to the Bricks, the MCC Alumni Association, and the Foundation for Mott Community College. Special thanks to Dale McClelland who spearheaded the fundraising efforts and was the driving force that brought this project to fruition.
For more info or to purchase a commemorative brick to be installed in the statue plaza click here.